The student news site of New Castle High School

The Phoenix

The New Season of Dragon Ball is Here!

Emily Guffey

After nearly 18 years, the Dragon Ball franchise is back with Dragon Ball Super. It is strange to say the series was ‘gone’ since there was the spin-off series Dragon Ball GT, but Dragon Ball Super is meant to be a direct sequel to the wildly popular Dragon Ball Z.

The series was originally intended to be a set of movies, chronicle the future adventures of Goku and his friends, but the series was officially produced into a show in 2015. The two movies made to summarize the first two arcs, or seasons, of the show, Dragon Ball: Battle of the Gods, and Dragon Ball: Resurrection of F can be found online. I would also HIGHLY recommend watching Battle of the Gods as it expands and sets up the new stories the show is trying to show off. It also introduces some new characters, Like Beerus and Whis, who become reoccurring characters in Dragon Ball Super.

Dragon Ball Super takes place only a few months after the original ending of Dragon Ball Super and follows Goku and his family through many different adventures. The show is traditionally divided up into arcs, usually represented nicknamed by whatever the big draw of the season is. An example of this would be the arc where one of the most popular villains of the show, Freeza, makes a return; it is called the ‘Golden Freeza arc.’ Freeza was one of the first and most prolific villains in the Dragon Ball Z.

“I’m excited for my boy Zen-Oh who is about to destroy all universes,” said Junior Michael Tate, “except for universe 7, ’cause Goku is going to win.”

The show has garnered quite a following in the United States already, with many watching the episodes that have already come out in Japan. The episodes in Japan have almost reached a hundred episodes even though it was only recently has been English dubbed for American audiences.

Dragon Ball Super is on Cartoon Network at 8 P.M. with an encore showing at 11 P.M. The show is only a few episodes in, so it would be a good idea to catch up now rather than wait.