The student news site of New Castle High School

The Phoenix

A end of the season review on the New Castle Cross Country Team

Emily Guffey, Reporter

This year, the both cross country teams did well at their meets, with the girls going 66 – 50 at sectional as a team.

“The thing that I enjoyed the most about cross country was how close the team was,” said Junior Samantha Alspaugh.

It was a difficult year for the girls cross country team with multiple injuries and difficult training. The training did pay off; however, as seniors Shelby Mills, Cate Brock, and freshman Megan Mills qualified for Regional this year, and  Mills also qualified for Semi-State. Mills was also given an award for being the most improved on the team.  Brock and  Alspaugh were also was one of 18 girls statewide who were both named Academic All-HHC.

The boys also did well this year, placing first at the New Castle Invitational and second at the Delta Invitational, the Pendleton Heights Invitational, and at sectionals. The team also placed 6th during Regional. Sadly, the team did not qualify for semi-state, but Sophmore Britton Adkins and Senior Chris Graham went to semi-state as individuals. Adkins ran for a total of 16:28.8, which is the 7th fastest run for semi-state in the history of New Castle.

“I feel like I could’ve gotten a better time just because I didn’t feel good during the race,” said Adkins, “but I am satisfied knowing I’m 7th in school rankings overall.

“With Adkins only being a sophomore, he has a lot of potential to continue moving up the All-Time list,” said Coach Sean Kennedy, who coaches Boy’s Cross Country, “and also be a strong #1 runner for the team the next several years,” added Kennedy.

“Anyone is capable of running cross country,” said Coach Kennedy, when asked about what it takes to join Cross Country. “There isn’t a prototypical runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or slow you are, you can still be a part of the team.”

“Any girl is welcome to participate and we encourage them to come out and see if they like what we do,” said Coach Ron Grimes, when asked the same question.  “We start at whatever level the athlete is at and work to improve from there.”