The student news site of New Castle High School

The Phoenix

6 hidden gem Christmas Movie to watch over break

Everyone has a special tradition for Christmas. Some sing Christmas carols, put up Christmas trees, or even watching Christmas movies. Today, we here at the New Castle Phoenix would like to present you 6 hidden gem movies for the 6 days leading up to Christmas. Each of these holiday specials bring out the joy of the season and will put you in the Christmas spirit.

• Ed, Edd, and Eddy – Jingle Jingle Jangle

A modern classic for all the right reasons, Ed, Edd, and Eddy was a cartoon made in the early 2000s about 3 boys with the same names. The shows main plot usually revolves around one of the boys, Eddy, wanting to make as much money as possible, but the plot is a bit different in the Christmas special. In the special, Eddy decides he wants to be adopted by another family since his parents only gave him clothes for Christmas. Now it is up to Ed and Edd to remind him what the true meaning of Christmas is. Overall, the emotions of this special is fantastic. The special has hilarious moments, mixed with downright heartbreaking scenes. The music alone brings together all of the joys of Christmas. All of the main characters make appearances, and the ending is easily the best part of the video. Definitely a great special to watch during Christmas.

1.  The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack – Low Tidings

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack was a really hit or miss show. The show had a very pessimistic and adult sense of humor. It takes place on a fictional harbor and follows a young boy named Flapjack and his friend Captain K’nuckles.  One of the major complaints about the show, is the really bland color scheme, but the show makes up for it with a lot of dialogue based humor and slapstick. The special, Low Tidings, is about a day of the year when all the water around the harbor recedes, and the citizens place shoes on the outside of the harbor to be filled with gifts from mermaids. Those who do not get presents get beat up by said mermaids. The episode is really nonsensical, but it has moments. Watch for the craziness, but remember that there is a really good message behind it.

1. Mr. Magoo – Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol

Easily the best retelling of The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, and for some reason, it came from Mr. Magoo. Mr. Magoo was an old cartoon that was created in about 1949 about an old man with bad eyesight going through crazy adventures. However, you really do not need to know about Mr. Magoo to watch this special, as it is purely The Christmas Carol. While it was, at first, distracting seeing Mr. Magoo play Scrooge, Mr. Magoo does not act like he did in his original cartoons, instead acting like a scrooge. This special blends everything together perfectly, matching the original tones of the book. The special has some very heart wrenching moments, including young scrooge being left alone at school and the death of Tiny Tim. Please watch this special for one of the most accurate retellings of The Christmas Carol.

1. The Grim Adventures Of Billy and Mandy – Billy And Mandy Saves Christmas

Gilbert Gottfried is a vampire Santa Claus. That sentence alone should be good enough of a reason to watch this special. The Grim Adventures Of Billy and Mandy was a cartoon about two friends, Billy and Mandy, befriending the Grim Reaper himself and going on a bunch of insane adventures. The Christmas special starts with Grim wanting to prove to Mandy that Santa Claus really exists, but it spirals out of control into trying to save Santa from becoming a vampire by finding the head vampire that bit him. The special acts like a normal episode of the show, but the humor has a lot more edge than normal, and the amount of guest cameo voices is insane for a small time cartoon.  Gilbert Gottfried, Carol Kane, Malcolm McDowell are a few.

1. Spongebob Squarepants – Christmas Who?

Since the new stop motion clay special came out a few years ago, many have forgotten the original Spongebob Squarepants Christmas special, Christmas Who? Spongebob is a long running cartoon from 1999 and a popular one among children. The special follows the title character, Spongebob, as he learns about Christmas and Santa Claus, and spreads Christmas cheer among the citizens of his town of Bikini Bottom. However, Santa cannot go under the water, so the town is left feeling sad. This special has a lot of good jokes and great character development among the people of the underwater city. The special is not as creative or colorful as the new special, but it does deserve just as much attention.

1. Batman Brave and the Bold – Invasion of the Secret Santas

Now for one of by far the most overlooked Christmas specials perhaps ever made. This is, in fact, the same for the show. Batman Brave and the Bold was a mostly overlooked cartoon, though it did have four seasons. The show revolved around Batman fighting a villain of the week with a partner of the week. The show would often pull in relatively unknown characters, at least by the greater public, such as Bat-mite, The Doom Patrol, and even the partner of this episode, the Red Tornado. In Invasion of the Secret Santas, the audience is given two stories. The first is a comical story about a group of robot Santa stealing presents. The other is a much more heartwarming and heart shattering group of flashbacks. While the main story is entertaining, the second story is much more saddening. The flashbacks explain Bruce Wayne had been angry with his parents the night they had been shot, Christmas Eve, because they had not given him the correct toy he had wanted for Christmas. This scene, alluding to what we as the audience know is going to be their last conversation, nearly hurts to see. I implore you to watch this episode of Batman Brave and the Bold and look at one of the most true forms of Batman ever put on the television screen.