The Phoenix

A Great Big Welcome Back

Jasper Locke

It’s a green year at New Castle High School, and the students seem eager as ever to succeed. At the start of every school year, there is an overwhelming drive to improve present among the student body. This is especially true for the underclassmen. What joy there is in making plans for a productive life in the future!

This is not always the case, of course. School is generally not fun and probably never will be for most normal people. With time, however, the mess of awkward conversations become a blur that can be somewhat tolerable. Outside periods of over thinking the most embarrassing moments while lying restless in bed, they will move on. Likewise, conflicts will rise and fall, friendships will come and go, interests will resurface then fade. This flux is what keeps school tolerable, even within classes themselves.

A classroom is a place of development that challenges one’s character in exceedingly unfortunate ways. It takes perseverance to overcome how difficult it can be to sit quietly in a cramped room for 8 hours every weekday with those that find themselves impaired in the art.  For that, every student deserves congratulation. 180 days every year are dedicated to this special kind of mutual suffering.

It is also taxing to find new ways to avoid problems that inevitably arise in day-to-day life. A mind-boggling amount of effort goes into avoiding any kind of work–more than what it would have taken to just do an assignment. Example: the excuses a classmate may offer daily to justify their admittedly lackluster work. These come so elaborately, but all boil down to the same basic composition: disappointment.

When adults talk about how detached teenagers are from reality, their point becomes clearer the further one gets from freshman year. It’s so easy to avoid responsibilities when there is always those three extra years to make it all up. After all, how can one fail if he never begins at all? Furthermore, if one can pass classes with putting forth exceptional effort in the art of making excuses, why do the work at all?

Once again will schools across the nation continue to be rocked by such enthusiasm.