The student news site of New Castle High School

The Phoenix

Clubs that are meeting this year!

Emily Guffey, Editor

This is the club schedule for the school year of 2017-2018!

Chess Club began meeting this Wednesday after school in B126. Chess Club meets every other Wednesday. It is sponsored by members of the New Castle Community. The club has regular tournaments and is welcoming to anyone who wants to learn chess.

The Equality Club began this Wednesday in M109.  The club’s purpose is to provide a safe place for anyone who feels alone. Members come in and help each other, as well as enjoy time around others.

SADD will began this Thursday after school in B126. SADD or Students Against Destructive Decisions, is a group of students that encourage other students to not take up destructive decisions, such as smoking, drinking, and drug use. The group often do things around the school, such as posters and field trips, to help encourage students not to make bad decisions revolving around a student’s life.

The Anime and Gaming club will begin meeting this Thursday in M203. The Anime and Gaming Club is a group dedicated to playing  video games, watching anime, and all around just hanging out with people who have similar interests. The first game of the year is often a fighting game, so it would be best for a student to bring his A game!

The Speech Team will have its’ call-out meeting August 15th and 16th after school in room B116. The meeting will go over the basics of the speech team, such as practice times, weekly meetings, and the dates of meets. Pizza will be provided for those who come to the call-out.

The Spell Bowl team, led by Mrs. French, will be having its’ call out meeting this Wednesday and Thursday. They will be meeting in M005.

Young Life will begin meeting near the end of August. Young Life is a small club that meets every Friday morning before school at around 7:30. The club meets in room B117. Young Life is a Bible study class that allows students to come in, eat breakfast, and listen to a sermon.

The Quiz Bowl Team will begin meeting around the middle of September. Quiz Bowl is an academic sport where teams compete at tournaments. During these tournaments, students are quizzed on academic knowledge from a multitude of topics, such as history, literature, and current events. The Quiz Bowl team is Headed by Mr. Thompson.

Art Club is currently delayed, due to the absence of Mrs. Ruhl. After she returns on August 11th, we will know the exact date Art Club will begin meeting. Art Club usually meets every other Friday.

The FCA or Fellowship of Christian Athletes will begin meeting next Tuesday, August 15th in the art room.

The Creative Writer’s club will be having their first meeting Wednesday,  August 16th. The Creative Writer’s Club allows students to talk about and edit one another’s stories.

The Women Empowering Women club began meeting last Thursday. The club meets in M203 and is run by Mrs. Lloyd. The club is dedicated to help women and provide a calm atmosphere.

The Theatre Arts Club held its first meeting on Friday. Students who would still like to participate but could not attend the meeting please talk to Mrs. Schuyler. The club is seeking members to participate both on and off stage during shows

The History Academic team and the Science Academic team will begin meeting in December. The History Academic Team is run by Mr. Thurston, and the Science Academic Team is run by Mr. Thompson. The English Academic Team will be reading Farewell To Arms this year. See Miss. Gant for a copy of the book. The Fine Arts Academic team will be meeting in October. See Mr. Stewart for more details. The Math Academic Team’s Meeting time is not known at the moment, but ask Mrs. Balmes in the near future for more information.