The New Castle skate park officially opens

New Castle finally opened its new skate park, the New Castle Action Sports Park. The park opened on Saturday, August 12, with a party to celebrate the newest addition to New Castle. The park has already seen a lot of foot traffic in the weeks it has been open, and many students have already visited the new park.

The concrete park has many ramps, rails, and a few tunnels. In the upper right corner of the park is a bowl-like area that has proven popular with skaters and bikers.

Chalee Erb is a Sophomore here at New Castle High School. She has been one of the biggest supporters of the skate park since it was first planned. Erb’s brother was killed in Baker Park a few years back and  had always wanted a Skate Park in New Castle ever since the one at Osbourne Park was torn down.

“I’m all for the new park, and hopefully we can improve it,” Erb said. Erb has raised around $800 dollars for a bench to be placed in Baker Park near the skate park to commemorate her brother. She is also working on another fundraiser for the expansion of the park.

The mayor of New Castle, Greg York, has a lot of hope for the action park. During the block party for the Action Park, Mayor York stated: “We hope that the Park brings more people to New Castle.”

The Mayor has plans to expand the park further if the park proves to be popular. The park has already seen over 100 people on its opening day.

One of the major concerns of the park has been the safety of those who use it, particularly younger children. The park has seen just as many elementary students as it has high school students. Please, always watch for children at the skate park, and always help out in case of an emergency.

The park will remain open during most of Fall, until the winter months when Baker Park is closed.