The student news site of New Castle High School

The Phoenix

Write to take flight

Creative writing can be beneficial to teenagers. Creative writing encourages students to use grammar rules, practice better English, and have a greater understanding of the books they are reading.

Creative writing is not just writing books. It can include writing songs or lyrics, poems, short stories, articles, comics and much more.  Authors can create their own worlds and can use them to express their inner feeling.

Some tips for writing are to find a secluded space and put in some headphones. Classical or instrumental music can help with creativity. Read more books and learn the style of other writers. Above all else, never stop practicing writing.

English Teacher and Department Head Sean Slagle has written his own young adult novels. Slagle has also written many other short stories, articles, poems, and skits that have been published in magazines and digital magazines or ezines. He has written multiple long works, including A Dirge for Malice, Young Dreams, The Vale of Eden, Sleepy Hollow High School, The Most Blessed Inn of Bethlehem, A Primetime Christmas, and Miracle Diet.

Since Halloween is coming up, he has one novel specifically based on Halloween. A Dirge for Malice is based in the 1980’s in Science Hill, Kentucky. It is about a dangerous witches cave that can make the desires of the heart come true.

Sophomore Marley Bell read A Dirge for Malice.  She said, “It was really suspenseful and I could never tell what was going to come next. It kept my attention throughout the entire book.”

Teacher Annette Goggin has written her own book called Home. This book is a collaboration of true stories that have happened to her. It is focuses on three aspects of her life:  church, school or on the farm. These stories are meant to be funny or brighten others days.

There is a creative writing club in Teacher Barry Pratt’s room in B220. This club was started by Sophomore Elijah Sherrill. The students that attend write stories and share them with each other. They teach each other different things about writing. Pratt plans on taking them to a play this year.