The student news site of New Castle High School

The Phoenix

Thor Ragnarok

Thor Ragnarok is a masterwork for Marvel Studios, providing a beautiful and hilarious film that encompasses what Marvel has been trying to do with its’ movies since the first Iron Man movie.

Thor Ragnarok is the third movie in the Thor Trilogy and the seventieth movie from Marvel Studios. The main cast from previous movies makes stunning returns here, including Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, and Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner or The Hulk. All gave great performances as to be expected when they’ve been doing this for about 5 years or so. Some new actors were thrown into the fray, like Tessa Thompson who played Valkyrie and Cate Blanchett as Hela. Both, for being new to the roles, gave wonderful performances, especially Valkyrie, who proved to be a wonderful supporting cast member full of personality.

As a major Thor fan, I went in with rather high expectations. I was in love with the first and second movie and was curious about how the series was going to tackle a rather big cliffhanger that was left at the end of the second movie. I would like to say that I was far from disappointed.

Before I go into the movie itself, I would like to bring up one of the trailers. A trailer from Justice League, owned by Marvel’s rival company DC, played before my Screening of Thor Ragnarok. As I watched, I found myself laughing about the fact that it was almost like the movie was saying “We’re so confident you’ll love our movie, we’ll show our rivals trailer and you’ll forget about it after the first act.”

The movie’s opening established the tone perfectly, with a healthy dose of action and humor. The opening fight is choreographed to Led Zepplin’s Immigrant Song, which oddly, fit far better than I expected. In fact, it fits so well it’s also used in the climax of the movie.

If I had one complaint, the First act was rather rushed. The scenes jump quickly, from Asgard to New York to a quick cameo by Doctor Strange, whose movie came out last year, to finally Norway. Though, looking back, I understand that it was less rushing because of lack of time, but rather to quickly get to the second act and the main plot.

The second act does have some problems, though they can be boiled down to bad CGI or moments where a character felt out of character. The main plot of the second act is Thor being trapped on an alien planet and being forced to fight in a gladiatorial arena. This also introduces us to the other main characters, Valkyrie and Hulk. Valkyrie turned out better than I could have imagined, a no-nonsense realist who only wants to live her life the way she wants to. She was truly the standout among the new actors and gave a lot of energy to the role.

A  small, little marvel fan thing I noticed was the design of the planet itself. Any true Marvel fan could see the Jack Kirby inspired designs all around, from the buildings to the guards. Jack Kirby was one of the original designers of a lot of Marvel characters and along with Stan Lee, helped to make Marvel what it is today. He seriously deserves way more credit than what he usually gets, and Thor Ragnarok gives me hope that he will finally get the recognition he deserves.

The third act is truly what a climax deserves to be, over the top, lots of action, and lots of humor. The final fight between Hela and Thor is flashy, while Valkaryie and the Hulk fight off her army in an attempt to stop her from reaching Earth. Everything speeds up and you have to lean back in your seat just to have breathing room.

Overall though, the movie comes highly recommended and should be included in your next superhero movie marathon.