The Phoenix

Great Books to read over Spring Break

Emily Guffey & Jasper Locke

With Spring Break only a few weeks away, why not spend some time with a good book? Here is a list of books to read over break, as suggested by students!

It by Steven King – Recommended by Junior Garrett Jessee

With the recent film adaptation, It has seen a revitalized fanbase, bringing a classic film to new audiences, and encouraging a younger generation to read the original. (Read our Review of It here!)  With its creepy plot of a small town mystery mixed with the deaths of young children, It is a horror novel laced with scares, relatable characters, and an interesting, if a bit silly, clown antagonist.

Women’s Murder Club Series by James Patterson – Recommended by Senior Brant Bouslog

The Women’s Murder Club series is a set of books following a group of women in their attempts to solve local murders. The first book is called 1st To Die while the latest book comes out April 30th and is called The 17th Suspect.

Scythe by Neal Shusterman – Recommended by Sophomore Nathan Garreth

Scythe is the first book the Arc of a Scythe series dystopian adventure novel set in a future in which death has been eliminated, leaving only The Scythes to determine who will live or die to control the population.

The Art of The Deal by Donald Trump, Tony Schwartz – Recommended by Junior Corbin Pope

The Art of the Deal is the first book published by Donald Trump and defines eleven steps to success in business, as well as the start of Trump’s career and developing The Trump Organization.

The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle- Recommended by Junior Tyler Hughes

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a picture book well-known and loved by children of all kinds. Its story details a caterpillar moving through its life cycle, eventually turning into a butterfly. It also contains interesting illustrations.

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – Recommended by Sophomore Kaylynn Marshall

The Hunger Games trilogy tells the tale of a dystopian world where a teenage girl, Katniss Everdeen, is thrust into the rebellion of a people. It is one of the highest rated young adult series, having sold millions of copies in the US.

Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan – Recommended by Sophomore Elijah Sherrell
The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series has long been favored by the teenager crowd for its creative universe and lovable characters. The books follow a young man named Percy Jackson, who finds out not only are the old Greek gods from the myths really existed, but they are still around — and one of them is his father.
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green – Recommended by Senior Anna Lee
John Green is a well known Young adult writer and has written many bestsellers including The Fault in our stars and Papertowns. Will Grayson, Will Grayson follows two boys who share the same name going through their day to day lives before meeting each other.
Who Was Gandhi? by Dana Meachen Rau – Recommended by Sophomore Kelsey Simpkins
Who Was Gandi? is a biographical piece on Gandi that talks about his life and his accomplishments.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney – recommended by Sophomore Rick Mullens
The Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a young adult novel that follows a middle school freshman named Greg Heffley and all the mischief he gets up to in his small neighborhood. The series currently has 12 books in the set.
13 Reasons why by Jay Asher- recommended by Sophomore Madison Douglas
13 Reasons Why, which was recently adapted into a Netflix series, is the story of a teenage girl and the reasons why she decided to take her own life.