United Voices Unite

In merely 3 months since 2018 begun, there have been eight school shootings.

It started off with Winston Salem, North Carolina on January 20th, Italy, Texas on January 22, Benton, Kentucky on January 23, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on January 31, Los Angeles, California on February 1, Oxon Hill, Maryland on February 5th, Nashville, Tennessee on February 9th, and February 14th Parkland Florida.

There are many different opinions on what should be done about school safety. Some say it is a gun problem, and that guns should be banned. Another side says it is a mental health problem. Either side can agree there need to be precautions that students and teachers need to take to keep themselves protected if someone with bad intentions decided to enter the school.  

If someone were to enter the school with a gun, the school would be put on lockdown. Lockdown is where students and teachers stay locked in the classroom until the threat has passed. Students will be placed as far from the door as possible. It is at a teacher’s discretion if they want to be near the door to protect the students or hide with them.

In a class discussion about school safety Barbara Hilton, a New Castle Chemistry teacher says, “If hiding doesn’t work, run, if running doesn’t work, fight back with everything you’ve got.”

On April 20th, students and administration participated in “walking out” of the school to support the victims of mass shootings. This will be a 17 minute event. The event will be protected by the police.  

New Castle has a group of students called The United Voices. The United Voices is a group that speaks about ways to prevent gun violence. Their main approach is to stop bullying of all forms.

Senior Gabi Sorrell is very active in this group. She said,  “The most basic description of the “why” behind this group is that we are honoring those who have lost their lives to violence and taking a stand against bullying, loneliness, and the stigma against mental illnesses. We are here to be united and show that love, compassion, understanding, and speaking out can make all the difference in the world.”

During the “walk out,” students and staff viewed facts and displays to learn more about the cause.