To the Class of 2020: “We are proud of you”

Grayson Joslin, Editor

Dear Class of 2020,

This was not the way any of us wanted to end the school year. A worldwide pandemic has resorted us to end this school year in our homes. The world right now is uncertain. On May 22, the school year will officially end. The moments that seniors have been waiting their entire schooling career for – the senior walk, the senior luncheon, the senior recognition, prom – will not happen. The Class of 2020 will not be getting the send off to their adult lives that they deserve.

All of the uncertainty will not take away the bigger picture – we are proud of you.

Over the past five years, since we both were housed in the same middle school, I have many friends with people that are in the Class of 2020. I am very thankful and blessed that I have gotten the honor to be friends with you. The Class of 2020 is a great collection of people who are passionate and dedicated. You are the future of America. You are young and bright. You are ready to take on the world, and win. Sometimes, the best people are born through the fires of adversity. The Class of 2020 was born after the worst terrorist attack in the United States’ history and are graduating in the world’s worst pandemic in a century. You have been made through adversity. Now, you are entering a world that is changing every single day. It is time to show the world what you are made of.

I understand your anger and your disappointment. I feel for you. And I am sorry that you are going through this. None of us knew that March 13th would had been the last time that you would be on the campus of New Castle High School. If you knew that would had been the last time you would had seen all of your friends, your teachers, and your administrators, I am sure that you would had told all of them how thankful you are for them.

You all are handling this differently. The end of your senior year, and all of the memories that usually go along with it, has been unjustly taken away from you. You might be grieving. And that is perfectly fine to be grieving. It is perfectly fine to be sad. You can accept that you are sad. You can grieve and be prepared to come out of this better people than ever.

At the end of the day, nothing will ever take away the unique bond that you have with your other classmates. You are the Class of 2020, a special group of people with a great future ahead of them. We are celebrating your accomplishments. You are being recognized. You are not being forgotten. We are proud of you.

The class of 2020, the teachers of NCHS are proud of you.

The students of NCHS are proud of you.

The community is proud of you.

We are all proud of you.

Sincerely,

Grayson Joslin