Indy police major to speak at Achievement Day

Grayson Joslin, Editor

One of New Castle High School’s long standing traditions is Achievement Day. This event showcases the students who have showed great academic performances, Chorale, and the Trojan Marching Band. Every year, a former New Castle Trojan comes back home to speak to the current enrollment of New Castle High School. A few Trojans who have spoken in the past are the incumbent Indiana Superintendent of Education Dr. Jennifer McCormick, FatHeadz founder Rico Elmore and current Nevada men’s basketball head coach Steve Alford. This year, the Trojan alum given the honor to speak is Catherine Cummings, the current major of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department’s criminal investigations program.

Catherine Cummings graduated from New Castle High School in 1991. Cummings was involved in athletics during her high school tenure, playing volleyball and was a varsity cheerleader, but Cummings’ greatest success as a student-athlete was in track. Cummings holds the school records for the 100 meter hurdles and 300 meter hurdles. Cummings qualified for the state track championships and also participated in national high school meets Her excellence as a student-athlete led her to become inducted in the New Castle Academic Hall of Fame in 2018.

After completing high school, Cummings attended college at Indiana University, where she ran track, and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and speech communications in 1995. Cummings also graduated Franklin College with a master’s degree in business psychology. She has also earned a graduate certificate in Homeland Security and Emergency Management.  Cummings decided to begin a career in law enforcement, joining the Marion County Sheriff’s Office in 1999.

Cummings has worked in a variety of positions before her promotion to major, including working in the special investigations unit, a stint in the behavioral health unit, a sergeant serving in the East District of Indianapolis, an executive officer to the deputy chief of administration and helped develop and implement the IMPD’s Mobile Crisis Assistance Team in her time in the field of law enforcement.

When Cummings took the oath to become the major of the IMPD’s criminal investigations program in July 2019, she became the first female to hold the position. As major, she supervises more than 300 people, which includes paid police officers and civilian staff.

New Castle High School’s Achievement Day will be on September 27, 2019 at Bundy Auditorium.