Overwatch, an original and colorful first person shooter

Emily Guffey, Reporter

Every person who has been on the internet for more than a few hours knows about World Of Warcraft. World Of Warcraft is a Massively Multiplayer Online game or MMO. People across the world play this game as the game has endless appeal and replay value. The game brought a surge in popularity for Blizzard Entertainment, the company behind World Of Warcraft. Now Blizzard has a new game series being released in May, a game called Overwatch.

The story involves a group of heroes called Overwatch, who used to protect the world, until being disbanded. The first trailer for the game simply called the Cinematic Trailer was met with great enthusiasm. The story was extremely unique for the genre it was in and gave off a sense of originality with every new trailer.

Overwatch is a first person class based shooter that is set to released on May 24th. The game works like most multiplayer games with three main play modes released at the moment: escort, assault, and control. Escort involves an offensive team attempting to move a payload to a new area before the time runs out while the defensive team attempts to stop them. Assault involves the offensive team capturing two points on the map while the other tries to hold the points down. The final play mode is called Control and plays similar to Assault with the most lasting difference being that both teams have capture points and must stop the other team from capturing their point.

One of the most important draws of Overwatch are the characters. Each character has their own life, and their own way of handling things. Each character is unique and can be the make or break for a team.

The game is focused around different player types. If a player wants to go all in without a care for damage, they would most likely want to play an offensive character, such as the lone cowboy McCree. Others may want the exact opposite of this wanting to hang back from the fight and pick off enemies from afar. In this case, the best character to play is a defensive character, like the cold sniper Widowmaker. There are players who want to run straight into battle, taking down the enemy team quickly before being detected.  One option for this type of character is the mech pilot D.Va. There’s also the final group of characters which involves characters of support, which focuses on helping the team rather than combat, such as the beats pumping Lucito.

“I want to play as Mercy the combat medic,” says Chastity Hollar, a sophomore. “She seems like she’ll be a lot of fun.”

From May 3 to May 9th Overwatch will enter Open Beta testing, which will allow players to play for free and test out the game. Players get to try out the game while the developers get to test the game for bugs. I encourage as many people to try out this game and find out what style they like to play. The game officially comes out May 24th for PC, Xbox One, and Playstation 4.