The Phoenix

Pros and Cons of Social Media

Social Media where anyone, with the access of WIFI, can post anything they want to their own personal accounts. The dictionary defines Social Media as websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

This can be used for both good and bad. It can range from a new mother posting a picture of her first born on Facebook, to a teenage girl getting called ugly on Twitter, or to an online newspaper reporting about  a car accident. Many people will have different opinions on social media on weather its useful or dangerous.

Senior Bryton Tuttle, has been positively affected by social media. “Social media has mostly affected my life in a positive way. It lets me find people at the school who I would never talked to otherwise. In a lot of ways it’s allowed me to keep up with my class. If it wasn’t for social media, high school would have been a completely different experience.”                                                                                                                                    

Sophomore Logan Nash, has been negatively affected by social media. “I was cyber bullied. When I was dating my ex girlfriend, her ex boyfriend would spam my messages with hate filled comments about her and I. I felt trapped because if I had blocked them I felt like I would have lost the battle. I didn’t want my friends to see what I was going through. I eventually reported him to the school authorities.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Social Media affects everyone differently it can be dangerous for teens but it can also be a wonderful thing. Students should use it responsibly so everyone has fun doing it.