NCHS Baseball stepping up to the plate

Matt Sharp, Editor-In-Chief

The New Castle High School Baseball season began late March and since then, the Trojans baseball team has faced an up and down season. Most recently the Trojans Defeated Knightstown 6 to 4. The Trojans have struggled to consistently win games. As of now the Trojans have accumulated a record of 8 wins to 7 losses. Though the Trojans have been close to pulling out a win in each of their seven losses. It appears as though the boys are just a few plays away from winning up to four more games.

Junior Nathan Poe said, “I think the season has gone pretty well. We have come together as a team pretty well which is easier said than done sometimes.”

The next game for the Trojans is May 3 against Yorktown in a doubleheader. The Trojans then get four days rest before playing Anderson May 4.

The Trojans are only 2 and 4 in conference play, second worst in the Hoosier Heritage Conference. Though there have been bright spots, Seniors Caleb Matthews and Baze Conway are second and fifth in the HHC in runs batted in. Junior David Bennett has not allowed an earned run in 11 innings pitched. Junior Titen Bennett is the third winningest pitcher in the HHC with three wins.

All season the boys have sat goals and striven to reach and surpass them.

Junior Nate Woollard said, “ I just want to do the best that I can to help the team. Our main goal is to win games and I want to do the best I can to help the team win.”

Poe said, “I just want to do the best I can. I will work my butt off for the team.”

There is still time for the Trojans to build momentum towards a sectional championship as the Knightstown win marked the start of the second half of the season. If the Boys can start to string together wins they could finally break the sectional championship drought.

Poe said, “I think we could definitely win sectionals this year. We have to keep getting better, but we can definitely do it.”