The Phoenix

Tracking Our Track and Field

When people hear track and field, they automatically think that it means a lot of running. Track and Field are actually an extremely easy and helpful for freshmen wanting a new sport to practice in during the Winter.

Track and field actually have many categories. The track events are the 60-meter dash, 55-meter dash, relays, distance races, 100-meter dash, 200-meter dash, 400-meter dash, 800-meter dash, 1600-meter dash, 3200-meter dash, and more.The field events are long jump, high jump, shot put, and more.

Coach James Allen, also the Jobs for American Graduates, or JAG, teacher, is the boys track coach. He has only 6 freshmen on his team right now, and he would love some more.

“The difference between track and any other sport is anyone can compete. So if you’re the quickest athlete, you’re gonna be competing for no matter if you’re a freshman or senior. It doesn’t matter what grade you’re in,” Allen said.

The track is often considered an independent sport, it is actually a team sport. One person has to do what they have to do for the entire team to succeed, as Allen said. Ron Grimes, a math teacher, is the girls track coach. He has only 8 freshmen girls on his team.

A lot of discipline goes into the track; have to worry about grades, time management, making sure everything that needs to be done gets done after practice.

Freshmen can get out of gym next semester if they do track. All someone has to do is pick up information from the counseling office, fill it out, have it to the athletic office and the coach by the first day of practice. A participant must be at 90% of the practices and most meets, finish the season on good terms with the coach, and then apply to Physical Ed Teacher Jennifer Kelsik for a PE credit. After all of that, the participant earns a B in PE credit. If you want an A you can keep a log of the season, what you do every day, or you can write a two-page reflection page on the season.
There is still time to join track before the season officially starts, go see Coach Allen or Coach Grimes if you wanna join.