Boys soccer wins sectional championship

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys soccer wins sectional championship

Grayson Joslin, Editor

For the first time in eleven years, New Castle High School’s boys soccer team has won a sectional championship.

On October 12, the Trojans defeated the Yorktown Tigers 1-0 in the sectional championship game to win their fourth sectional championship in school history. This closed out a sectional tournament where New Castle went 239 consecutive minutes without giving up a goal.

“I think in all of our minds we believed that we could have a very very special season and had the best shot at winning the sectional championship that the team has had for years,” Freshman Ashton Rainer said.

The Trojans had been consistently improving over the previous seasons. The team was chiefly comprised of seniors, which included Eddy Yousak, who was one of the team captains this year.

“We learned from our mistakes in the past. After losing three previous sectionals, we knew that we had to work harder than ever in every training,” Yousak said.

The team opened their season by winning four of their first five games, which they defeated teams such Yorktown and Hamilton Heights, who are teams who are in the same sectional as New Castle. The team then traveled to Bloomington for the Hoosier Cup invitational, where they won against Whiteland, tied against Merrillville and lost to Evansville North. The team then went into a away stretch where they won against Rushville and Muncie Burris. The Trojans then lost a hard fought game against Delta, but won on Senior Night against the Anderson Indians, with the team building momentum for sectionals.

“After losing three previous sectionals, we knew that we had to work harder than ever,” Yousak said.

“The team’s main goal to make a sectional championship happen was to focus a lot on defense and to score a goal whenever you get a chance,” Freshman Jaykwan Guerrero said.

The Trojans began their bid for a sectional championship by avenging their regular season loss over Delta with a 2-1 over the Eagles, thanks to goals by Guerrero and Yousak. The Trojans then followed up with another win against the Jay County Patriots, winning that match 1-0. This set the stage for a sectional championship game against conference rival Yorktown Tigers. In a hard fought match that went to the wire, the Trojans won 1-0 to win sectionals.

“We knew all season that our team was a sectional winning team and even if we lost a game during the season we would put the game behind us and get better in practice to prepare for the next game,” Rainer said.

The season ended for the Trojans when they lost to Western in the first game of the regional tournament on October 19th. The Trojans ended the 2019 year with a record of twelve wins, seven losses, and one draw.

Being part of the soccer team has made a positive impact on the student-athletes who played this year.

“Being apart of a team can really make you feel appreciated,” Sophomore Gabe Kitchell said.

“I’ve made many memories with this team and learned a lot by being around them,” Senior Corbin Madden said.

“Being a part of this team has helped me not only overcome challenges, but develop as a leader,” Yousak said.

Throughout the season, the Trojans have improved and their hard work and determination was rewarded with a sectional championship.