Trojan swimmers glide their way through season

Grayson Joslin, Editor

In the summer, for leisure, most people will go to a swimming pool to swim. This might be because of the scorching hot temperatures in the summer, and the pool provides people with something to cool them down.

These Trojan swimmers, however, swim as a sport in the coldest time of the year.

The Trojan swimmers capped off a successful season in February, with one swimmer making it to the state swimming meet in Indianapolis.

“The team had a much better year than we have in the past.” Sophomore Lylah Hutson said.

The boys swimmers kicked off the year on November 30th, losing to a very talented Greenfield-Central squad. The first meet saw shimmers of what was to come for the year, as the Trojans took victory in the 200 meter medley relay with the team of Connor Griffey, Adian Sipes, Ben Hall and Jackson Criswell.

With each passing meet, the Trojans improved, grew and matured. Personal best records were broken.

“I feel the team improved through the season realizing we could compete with the bigger teams, and learning how to swim out races,” Junior Ben Hall said.

The team ended their season on February 22nd, when they placed 6th place in their sectional. The 400 meter relay team of Jackson Criswell, Andrew Lacey, Connor Griffey and Ben Hall set a season best time and placed 5th. Aidan Sipes swam to 6th place in the 100 meter breaststroke, setting a new personal record. Connor Griffey swam to 4th place in the 100 meter backstroke.

“I love the sport and would like to continue into my collegiate career,” Head said.

“We became a closer, well behaved team,” Junior Trenton Round said.

The girls swimming team had a good year too. The girls kicked off the year with a victory against Batesville and Eastern Hancock on November 21st. The team won 7 out of 12 events. As the season continued, the girls improved. The relay team of Lylah Hutson, Rylan Blessinger, Sacha Shunneson, and Payton Plank won the 200 yard freestyle relay against Muncie Central. At sectionals, that same relay team placed 6th, beating schools such as Richmond and New Palestine.

“The most difficult thing in swimming is the training, because you have to work so hard for one major swim meet at the end of the season,” Hutson said.

Also at sectionals, Elena Millikan placed 11th in the 50 yard freestyle while Payton Plank placed 15th in the same event. In the 100 yard breaststroke, Sacha Shunneson took 5th. Shunneson also placed 7th at diving at sectionals. Freshmen Elena Millikan and Madilyn Moffit took 13th and 16th in the 1oo yard backstroke, respectively. The Lady Trojans ended up placing 9th in the sectional on February 8th.

The biggest achievement of the season happened on February 14th whenever sophomore Lylah Hutson competed at the IHSAA Girls Swimming and Diving State Championship. Hutson won the 500 yard freestyle at sectionals to become the first Trojan swimmer to advance to state in 8 years. At state, Hutson finished 28th in the state in the 500 yard freestyle.

“Swimming has done so much for me and has got me so many places,” Hutson said. “It has helped me meet so many new people that have become great friends and given me opportunities to excel greatly.”

The Trojan swimmers are grateful for a good season this year and they look to improve even more next year.